Image splicing localization based on CFA-artifacts analysis
Varlamova A.A., Kuznetsov A.V.
Samara National Research University, Samara, Russia,
Image Processing Systems Institute оf RAS – Branch of the FSRC “Crystallography and Photonics” RAS, Samara, Russia
Full text of article: Russian language.
Image splicing is a widespread image forgery technique in which fragments from another image are pasted into the image under forgery. In this paper, a method of image splicing localization based on the analysis of CFA-artifacts that appear in the image during the capturing process is described. A feature characterizing the presence/absence of CFA artifacts for each image block is measured. The obtained values of the feature define the probability of each block to be embedded. Analysis of the accuracy of the splicing localization method and its robustness against different types of tampering, such as additive Gaussian noise, JPEG compression, and linear enhancement are presented in the experimental part of the paper. The results show that the suggested method reveals the embedded regions of different shape, size, and nature in images. The method is found to be stable to the additive Gaussian noise and linear enhancement, but not stable to JPEG compression. The advantage of the method is the ability to localize the spliced-in regions as small as a 2×2 block.
image forgery, color filter array, Bayer filter, interpolation, artifact, tampering probability map.
Varlamova AA, Kuznetsov AV. Image splicing localization based on CFA-artifacts analysis. Computer Optics 2017; 41(6): 920-930. DOI: 10.18287/2412-6179-2017-41-6-920-930.
- How to fight against photo report forgeries [In Russian]. Source: <https://club.esetnod32.ru/articles/analitika/kak-borotsya-s-poddelkami-fotootchetov/>.
- Choi C-H, Lee H-Y, Lee H-K. Estimation of color modification in digital images by CFA pattern change. Forensic Science International 2013; 226(1-3): 94-105. DOI: 10.1016/j.forsciint.2012.12.014.
- Chakraverti AK, Dhir V. A review on image forgery and its detection procedure. Journal of Advanced Research in Computer Science 2017; 8(4): 440-443.
- Evdokimova NI, Kuznetsov AV. Local patterns in the copy-move detection problem solution [In Russian]. Computer Optics 2017; 41(1): 79-87. DOI: 10.18287/2412-6179-2017-41-1-79-81.
- Glumov NI, Kuznetsov AV, Myasnikov VV. The algorithm for copy-move detection on digital images [In Russian]. Computer Optics 2013; 37(3): 360-367.
- Burvin PS, Esther JM. Analysis of digital image splicing detection. IOSR Journal of Computer Engineering (IOSR-JCE) 2014; 16(2): 10-13. DOI: 10.9790/0661-162111013.
- Snigdha KM, Ajay AG. Image forgery types and their detection. International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer Science and Software Engineering 2015; 5(4): 174-178.
- Ferrara P, Bianchi T, De Rosa A, Piva A. Image forgery localization via fine-grained analysis of CFA artifacts. IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security 2012; 7(5): 1566-1577. DOI: 10.1109/TIFS.2012.2202227.
- Popescu AC, Farid H. Exposing digital forgeries in color filter array interpolated images. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing 2005; 53(10): 3948-3959. DOI: 10.1109/TSP.2005.855406.
- Gallagher AC, Chen T. Image authentication by detecting traces of demosaicing. CVPRW '08 2008. DOI: 10.1109/CVPRW.2008.4562984.
- Li L, Hue J, Wang X, Tian L. A robust approach to detect digital forgeries by exploring correlation patterns. Pattern Analysis and Applications 2015; 18(2): 351-365. DOI: 10.1007/s10044-013-0319-9.
- Bayram S, Sencar H, Memon N, Avcibas I. Source camera identification based on CFA interpolation. ICIP 2005; 3: 63-72. DOI: 10.1109/ICIP.2005.1530330.
- Bishop CM, Pattern recognition and machine learning. New York: Springer-Verlag; 2006. ISBN: 978-0-387-31073-2.
- Fawcett T. An introduction to ROC analysis. Pattern Recognition Letters 2006; 27(8): 861-874. DOI: 10.1016/j.patrec.2005.10.010.
- The original RAW-samples website. Source: <http://rawsamples.ch>.
- CS. Centro Studi Progresso Fotografico. Dcraw. Source: <http://www.centrostudiprogressofotografico.it/en/dcraw/>.
- Photo database. Source: <http://www.zermatt.ch/ru/Media/ Media-corner/Photo-database>.
- Columbia University Image Library (COIL-100). Source: <http://www.cs.columbia.edu/CAVE/software/softlib/coil-100.php>.
© 2009, IPSI RAS
151, Molodogvardeiskaya str., Samara, 443001, Russia; E-mail: email@example.com ; Tel: +7 (846) 242-41-24 (Executive secretary), +7 (846)332-56-22 (Issuing editor), Fax: +7 (846) 332-56-20